When connecting to an Azure Analysis Services Cube the best way to make a stable connection between TARGIT and the data source is through App Registrations - where the Application ID will serve as user name in the TARGIT Connection, and the Client Secret will be the password in the same connection.
Here's a detailed how-to:
Create an App Registration
In order to access the Analysis Services resource from TARGIT, you will need to configure an App Registration in the Azure Active Directory.
- In the Azure Portal menu, click on Azure Active Directory, then click on App Registrations in the menu bar on the left. Then click New Registration.
- Enter a name and select Accounts in this organizational directory only. The value of Redirect URI is the URL at which your application is hosted. Click Register when you are done.
- For the newly added App Registration, select Certificates & secrets to create a New Client Secret. This key is encrypted after save, so it needs to be documented somewhere safe. The secret will appear after you click Add.
- Please note the following properties of the App Registration which will be needed later:
- Application ID
- Client Secret (Application Key)
Assign the App Registration as Analysis Services Admin
This step must be completed using SQL Server Management Studio.
- In SSMS, connect to your Azure AS server.
- In Server Properties > Security, click Add.
- Type the name of your app registration in the the search box and click search.
- Click the app registration as it appears in the list, click Add.
- Note: If your App registration is not visible in search result, you may enter it manually using the following format: app:<app-ID>@<tenant-ID>
Verify the service principal account ID, and then click OK.
Make the connection in TARGIT Management
1. Navigate to the Connections tab in TARGIT Management:
2. Add a new connection of the type Multi-Dimensional
3. Pick Azure Analysis Services from the list
4. Fill in the name you prefer in the Connection Name and click Next:
5. Fill in the details:
Server: Azure Servername
Username: app:Application ID (which you noted earlier in the process)
Password: Application Secret (also noted from earlier)
Database: Pick the right database from drop-down (if drop-down doesn't work, something probably went wrong in an earlier step).
Now you can go to the TARGIT Windows Client and work with the data!
Please sign in to leave a comment.